Relocation is a complicated process. We get local Washington DC home sellers calling us or submitting their house info on this website every week saying “I’m relocating and need to sell my house in Washington DC“. The great thing is that we’re able to help a good many of those sellers sell their house quickly (because we’re actively buying houses in Washington DC right now!).
There are so many details to keep together during the relocation process, plus the stress of whatever is making you move in the first place – often it’s a new job or relative in failing health, but the need to move always comes with a dramatic change.
How do you make the most out of a challenging situation?
Don’t agonize – organize.
Why be in a situation where you end up paying to own and maintain a vacant house for 2 years? That gets very expensive and it doesn’t have to be.
Although the market is relatively stable right now in Washington DC, things can change in seconds. We’ve heard some horror stories over the past years of sellers relocating and having trouble selling their home. Unless you’re loaded with money, you probably can’t afford to take that chance.
So how do you make the best choice when you’re relocating and need to sell your Washington DC house fast?
I’m Relocating And Need To Sell My House In Washington DC Fast… Your Options And Steps
- Find out what your house will likely sell for: To do this you can contact a reputable real estate agent or connect with us and we can give you a no cost, no obligation offer on your home. Once you know what the house may be worth in the current market, that sets the basis for how long you may or may not be able / willing to hold on to the house attempting to sell it.
- Decide how fast you need to sell your home after you relocate: This is a big one! I’ve seen home owners who moved out of state for a job and had their house on the market for more than a year. Eventually, it sold for a much lower price than they had originally hoped. Decide how fast you need to sell your house… and how long you’re willing to endure 2 mortgage payments, 2 insurance payments, 2 property tax payments, etc.
- Find a good real estate agent BEFORE you start packing up your home: Don’t waste crucial time. Every month you wait or every month it takes to sell the house costs you cash. Or, if you’re not interested in using a Realtor to sell, we are a reputable local house buyer and we’d love to make you a fair, all cash offer. Just fill out the form through this link to get started >> or fill out the form on the top right of this page
- Calculate the value of selling your house fast vs. “waiting it out” for a dream price: Everyone wants to sell their home for as much as possible. But one thing many people forget to do is come up with the $ amount of how much it costs to hold onto a house. The costs involved include the mortgage (which if you’re still within the first 10 years of the mortgage, the majority of your payment is interest and hardly any is going to principal at all), insurance, taxes, maintenance, etc. Let’s say you want to sell your house for $200,000… and your mortgage payment is $1,500/mo, taxes $400/mo, $100/mo for insurance, and $200/mo for maintenance (lawn maintenance, repairs while you’re gone, etc.). Those expenses add up to $2,200 per month in expenses that don’t build equity. If it takes you 7 months to sell that house through a Realtor for that $200,000… it costs you $15,400 in DIRECT “holding costs” + you had to pay $12,000 in real estate agent fees (assuming 3% for the buyer’s agent and 3% for the seller’s agent).
Totaling $27,400 in wasted money. That doesn’t even account for the value of your time, your stress in thinking about that property sitting on the market, the opportunity cost of what you could have been doing with that extra money during those 7 months, etc. So the real cost to you was likely closer to $35,000.
But, what if you were to sell your house in days and avoid all of that expense and hassle?
Even if you sold for a discount below the retail price (lets say… $175,000)… you’re still ahead of the game by selling the house NOW at a discount to a company that buys houses vs. 7 months later at full price (and paying holding costs and realtor commissions).
Does that all make sense? If not, please call us and we will be happy to answer any questions.
- Take action: Whatever you decide… do it and take action. If you want to go the Realtor route, great! Find a reputable local Washington DC real estate agent. If you’d rather not have to wait and pay real estate agent commissions, then a viable option may be to sell your house fast to Express Homebuyers.
If you’ve got a lot of time on your side and an exceptional home, you may want to test the market by offering it out at a high price. There’s a small chance someone might just fall in love and be willing to overpay – people do crazy things for love. However, unless they are paying cash there may be appraisal issues.
Most properties are fairly average, in reality. They tend to be like most other houses around them, in the same way that people who live near each other tend to have a lot in common too. Unless your home is truly exceptional, as in magazine-quality extra-special, you won’t capture the most money in the market by pricing at the highest point. You will actually be helping your neighbor to sell their home.
If you are in a position to keep your home as a rental, you can also win by marketing your property for rent and sale at the same time, just to see what happens first. You have to maintain control of the process, which can confuse even seasoned real estate agents.
In some cases, we may be able to help renegotiate the loan, help make monthly payments or conduct a short sale with a bank.
We love helping people solve complicated problems.
Creative solutions can bridge the gap to get you where you need to be.
Who Is Express Homebuyers And How Can We Help You If You’re Relocating And Need To Sell In Washington DC?
We’re local property investors. We support our families and beautify neighborhoods by buying houses from Washington DC home owners who need to sell their DC house fast for one reason or another.
The types of sellers who tend to work with us include people who…
- Need to sell fast (we can close in as little as 7 days if you need us to)
- Don’t want to hassle with listing a property with an agent
- Don’t want to pay real estate agent fees
- Can’t sell their house for one reason or another (we buy houses in as-is condition)
- Don’t want the time and hassle dealing with contractors to repair their home
- … or a variety of other reasons
But we’re passionate people, and we believe in the Washington DC community.
We’re honest, straightforward and trustworthy.
We’ll quote you a fair price, and we can close fast with cash. Once you call us it only takes 7 minutes to make you an offer.
If you’re prepared to wait and can hire professionals to help, you can manage the sale of your property from a distance. Sometimes that risk can pay off and sometimes it doesn’t.
We’re happy to help you find answers to your toughest questions about your Washington DC real estate, so please feel free to call us at (877) 804-5252 and chat with us anytime.