You want to sell your Washington DC house, and you want to get top dollar? Excellent!
But “What do I need to do to sell my house in Washington DC“?
Here are some tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking to sell it for top dollar.
(To watch the video – scroll down)
*NOTE: These instructions are if you’re looking to get full retail value for your house sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below… or don’t have the time or money to do the things below… you can still sell your Washington DC house fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that will save you time and expense.
1) Clean, clean and clean. Even vacant houses get dusty and dirty, so keep it up! Nothing short of gleaming perfection will impress buyers. If you don’t have hours upon hours to clean your house, you will have to hire and pay someone to help you out until you sell.
If you are a messy person, consider finding somewhere else to live while your house is on the market. Maybe you can bribe your cleanest friend to trade houses with you? Seriously, keeping everything immaculate really helps buyers feel comfortable in your space and nothing stops people faster from buying than a dirty house.
2) Maintain a neutral style. You don’t have to paint everything off-white. In fact, some subtle colors can really help change the perception of spaces. For example, a soft yellow will help brighten up a dark kitchen and a deep dark blue or green will help a bright bedroom to feel like a calm place to sleep. Be careful though because dark colors will make rooms feel small.
Spend the money to get high-quality paint and professional help. People will pay more money for a property with the right colors and professional painting job because it makes the home feel better built, even though it’s just paint.
Don’t neglect painting the outside of your home, as that is important for a first impression.
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. It might feel like a waste of money to spend an extra couple hundred dollars on a dishwasher that someone else might just replace again, but quite a few buyers will get a home inspection and use the older appliances as an opportunity to negotiate a lower selling price with you. As the seller, you’ll often end up paying more if you try to hide neglected maintenance from the buyer. Make sure you stay in compliance with all the laws when selling your house. It’s often a good use of money to hire a home inspector to come through before you put the property on the market. If you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a small rate to come back after you’ve done a bunch of minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Prospective buyers love to see an independent report on the condition of the house because it makes them feel more comfortable with the purchase.
4) Make only necessary improvements. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale.
Paint is really the only safe investment – it’s easy to overspend on almost everything else, and it’s easy to get ripped off by unscrupulous contractors.
It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money.
5) Get expert opinions. You should definitely find at least a few decent real estate brokers who will help you price your property, but be honest with them if your intention in the end is to market the property on your own. A skilled broker can help you to make more money in the end, but keep in mind you must pay them.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Again, great brokers earn their value by doing this work and spreading the advertising expenses across many clients. It’s pretty expensive and time-consuming to start from scratch on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert, you’re ahead of the pack.
If you’re not a marketer, spend the time listening to what the best brokers do to sell houses in Washington DC – just to educate yourself on the options.
7) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the Washington DC area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to deal with any of this stuff.
Don’t Want To Do The Above Things Yourself? But Still Want To Sell Your Washington DC House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale, not everyone can, or wants to, make expensive improvements to their home that are required to sell it at full retail value. Making costly repairs, spending time and money to clean and update the property, marketing the property… those all take money and can take lots of time.
If you have the funds to do these things... AND you can wait the months it takes to sell houses in this market… then you may be better off financially to do those things and list it on the MLS (the main property listing service that real estate agents use).
If you don’t have the funds to make these important improvements to your house... AND can’t wait months to sell your house… then you may be a perfect fit for our local Washington DC house buying service. You’ll submit basic info about your house on our website, we’ll evaluate your house, we’ll make you a fair all-cash offer on your house, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you.
Then we can close FAST (often in seven days if you need us to).
Consider what we’ll pay you not to do anything versus the time, expense and hassle involved with doing it on your own.
So if you’re still asking, “what do I need to do to sell my house in Washington DC“… now you have 2 solid options.
- Spend lots of time and money to fix the property up and get it ready to sell with the steps above in order to receive top dollar.
- Let us do all of the work and we’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time, money, and gets the hassle off of your hands.
If you need to sell a property near Washington DC, we can help you.
We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast.