First the basics:
- Ask for recommendations from friends, family and your real estate agent.
- Be prepared ahead of time. When you meet with the movers, know your time frame and the services you’ll require. Will they need to pack for you? Will they need to store your goods for some period of time? This information will help you get the most accurate estimate from each moving company.
- Get more than one estimate. Find a few reputable companies and ask them to come out to view your household.
- Remember that cost is not the only factor. Ask about timing and extra fees.
- Check references. Ask for the names of past clients who will speak with you about their experiences.
- Keep a file of all your estimates, communications, paperwork, contracts etc. Make detailed notes of verbal conversations about anything that affects the move.