It’s super easy. It’s just so simply easy to make your house look sharp and saleable without burning a big hole in your pocket. All you need is time, and a little enthusiasm for do-it-yourself projects.
There’s a whole list of things that need to be in place to sell your house. Here’s how you can get started on your house.
- De-clutter: Pack up and put away everything that has a personal meaning to you. You want the new homeowners to be able to picture their lives in this house.
What you can do: Check out Craigslist for free moving boxes. If you need smaller boxes, go to grocery stores at the end of the day. Often they are more than willing to provide you with recyclable boxes.
- Clean Clean Clean: Who would like to step into a messy house? The dirt stains can distract people from actually appreciating the lay out and space in your house. Make sure that your house is spotless clean and smells fresh.
What you can do: Buy two all-purpose cleaning sprays for windows, mirrors, furniture and counter tops. Some of them can also be used to clean kitchen and bathroom tiles. Throw in a room freshener or a fragrance plug-in to the list and you’re all set!
Helping Hint: Once your house is on the market make sure that you DO NOT cook anything with strong flavors or smells.
Cost: $10 (two cleaning sprays) + $4 (room freshener). Total – $14
- Patch, Paint & Balance: It’s important to take time out and touch up wherever you can. Small fixes can get you so much more money for your house.
What you can do: Start by using caulk or spackling paste to fill holes or cracks in walls, and then paint over. Paint can be expensive but there are cheaper options available online. Make sure that the paint is a neutral shade. If possible, use at least two coats. Since it’s a one-time use, look to buy brushes at the dollar store.
Helping Hint: Ensure that all the light bulbs in the house match. Bad lighting could change the perception of space.
Cost: $3 (caulk tube) or $5 (spackling paste) + $12 to $16 (paint – $4 for per can) + $10 (brushes/paint rollers) + $10 ($1 per light bulb). Total – $35 to $41
- Polish & Fix: Creaky doors, scratchy floors, loose cabinets? Who needs a handyman? Some of these quick-fixes are just so simple to work on.
What you can do: You’d be surprised by what’s available in the market today. A wood filler pen could remove the scratches on your floor. You could also use it on wooden furniture. If you have carpeted flooring, vacuum the house well and use a good carpet cleaner to remove stains.
Another fun product is the WD40 that can fix creaky doors, and the fix-all adhesive to put small knick-knacks together.
Helping Hint: Walk around the house with a screwdriver (if you don’t have one, borrow one). Tighten screws wherever possible – kitchen cabinets, bathroom spaces, doors etc.
Cost: $5 (wood filler pen) + $5 (carpet cleaner) + $5(WD40) + $2 (fix-all adhesive). Total – $17
- Landscape: This is probably the most expensive project, but improving your curb appeal will definitely add value to the asking price on your house. Who says you need to hire help to get things done. With a little effort, the exterior could lure people to see what’s on the inside. Believe me when I say that this is one easy do-it-yourself project!
What you can do: If you take the layout of your house to Lowe’s or Home Depot, they could give you good advice on how to design your landscape for free. Based on your budget, you can decide how much of mulch bed and planters you need to buy.
Helping Hint: In addition don’t forget to trim the bushes and pull out weeds regularly.
Cost: $100 to $110 (landscape) + $15 (garden shears). Total – $125
GRAND TOTAL: $197
- Décor: An exotic painting, a bright lampshade, an ornate center piece, a touch of color here and there. These elements could help in adding warmth to your place.
What you can do: Look for yard sales in your area. A lot of these trinkets can be bought at a cheap price. Don’t forget to haggle.
Helping Hint: Need some ideas to decorate your place? Check out some of our virtual tours & renovated houses.
Cost: Optional. (You have $53 to spare!)
Try these ideas out. You really have nothing to lose. If you have a bigger budget, here are some more things that your could try. If you need more help on selling your home, reach out to us at Express Homebuyers. We have the lowest days on market in this area, and can ensure you that we can help you sell your house as soon as possible. Just pick up the phone and call us at 1-(877) 804-5252.